[openstack-dev] [Tripleo] Automating role generation

Janki Chhatbar jankihc91 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 06:13:08 UTC 2018

Hi

I am looking to automate role file generation in TripleO. The idea is
basically for an operator to create a simple yaml file (operator.yaml, say)
listing services that are needed and then TripleO to generate
Controller.yaml enabling only those services that are mentioned.

For example:
operator.yaml
services:
    Glance
    OpenDaylight
    Neutron ovs agent

Then TripleO should
1. Fail because ODL and OVS agent are either-or services
2. After operator.yaml is modified to remove Neutron ovs agent, it should
generate Controller.yaml with below content

ServicesDefault:
- OS::TripleO::Services::GlanceApi
- OS::TripleO::Services::GlanceRegistry
- OS::TripleO::Services::OpenDaylightApi
- OS::TripleO::Services::OpenDaylightOvs

Currently, operator has to manually edit the role file (specially when
deployed with ODL) and I have seen many instances of failing deployment due
to variations of OVS, OVN and ODL services enabled when they are actually
exclusive.

I am willing to spend some cycle on this. What I ask is some clearity on
its feasibility and any other ideas to make this idea into a feature.

--
Thanking you

Janki Chhatbar
OpenStack | Docker | SDN