[openstack-dev] [NOVA] nova GPU suppot and find GPU type

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 13:49:11 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 12:21 AM Manuel Sopena Ballesteros <
manuel.sb at garvan.org.au> wrote:

> Dear Nova community,
>

> This is the first time I work with GPUs.
>

> I have a Dell C4140 with x4 Nvidia Tesla V100 SXM2 16GB I would like to
> setup on Openstack Rocky.
>

> I checked the documentation and I have 2 questions I would like to ask:
>

> 1.       Docs (1) says *As of the Queens release, there is no upstream
> continuous integration testing with a hardware environment that has virtual
> GPUs and therefore this feature is considered experimental*. Does it
> means nova will stop supporting GPUs? Is GPU support being transferred to a
> different project?

 No. We told about "experimental" because given we didn't have a CI
verifying the features, we were not sure operators were not having a lot of
bugs. After 2 cycles, we don't have a lot of bugs and some operators use
it, so we could remove the "experimental" situation.

2.       I installed
> cuda-repo-rhel7-10-0-local-10.0.130-410.48-1.0-1.x86_64 on the physical
> host but I can’t find the type of GPUs installed (2) (/sys/class/mdev_bus
> doesn’t exists). What should I do then? What should I put in
> devices.enabled_vgpu_types
> <https://docs.openstack.org/nova/rocky/configuration/config.html#devices.enabled_vgpu_types>
> ?

Make sure you use the correct grid server driver from nvidia and then
follow those steps :
https://docs.nvidia.com/grid/6.0/grid-vgpu-user-guide/index.html#install-vgpu-package-generic-linux-kvm

Once the driver will be installed (make sure tho you remove first the
nouveau driver as said above) and the system rebooted, you should see the
above sysfs directory.
HTH,
-Sylvain