[openstack-dev] Proposal for a process to keep up with Python releases

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Fri Oct 26 14:27:01 UTC 2018

On 10/25/18 3:43 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 25/10/18 1:38 PM, William M Edmonds wrote:
>> Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote on 10/22/2018 03:12:46 PM:
>>  > On 22/10/18 10:33 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>  > > On 10/19/18 5:17 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>  > >> Integration Tests
>>  > >> -----------------
>>  > >>
>>  > >> Integration tests do test, amongst other things, integration with
>>  > >> non-openstack-supplied things in the distro, so it's important
>> that we
>>  > >> test on the actual distros we have identified as popular.[2]
>> It's also
>>  > >> important that every project be testing on the same distro at
>> the end of
>>  > >> a release, so we can be sure they all work together for users.
>>  > >
>>  > > I find very disturbing to see the project only leaning toward
>> these only
>>  > > 2 distributions. Why not SuSE & Debian?
>>  >
>>  > The bottom line is it's because targeting those two catches 88% of our
>>  > users. (For once I did not make this statistic up.)
>>  >
>>  > Also note that in practice I believe almost everything is actually
>>  > tested on Ubuntu LTS, and only TripleO is testing on CentOS. It's
>>  > difficult to imagine how to slot another distro into the mix without
>>  > doubling up on jobs.
>>
>> I think you meant 78%, assuming you were looking at the latest User
>> Survey results [1], page 55. Still a hefty number.
>
> I never know how to read those weird 3-way bar charts they have in the
> user survey, but that actually adds up to 91% by the looks of it (I
> believe you forgot to count RHEL). The numbers were actually slightly
> lower in the full-year data for 2017 that I used (from
> https://www.openstack.org/analytics - I can't give you a direct link
> because Javascript <sigh>).
>
>> It is important to note that the User Survey lumps all versions of a
>> given OS together, whereas the TC reference [2] only considers the
>> latest LTS/stable version. If the User Survey split out latests
>> LTS/stable versions vs. others (e.g. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS), I expect we'd
>> see Ubuntu 18.04 LTS + Centos 7 adding up to much less than 78%.
>
> This is true, although we don't know by how much. (FWIW I can almost
> guarantee that virtually all of the CentOS/RHEL users are on 7, but I'm
> sure the same is not the case for Ubuntu 16.04.)

In this context I don't think the version matters though. The original
question was why we are focusing our test efforts on Ubuntu and CentOS,
and the answer is that ~90% of our users are on those platforms. The
specific version they're on right now doesn't really matter - even if
they're on an older one, chances are eventually they'll move to a newer
release of that same OS.