[openstack-dev] [TripleO] easily identifying how services are configured

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Thu Oct 25 21:43:06 UTC 2018

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:26 AM Alex Schultz <aschultz at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 9:16 AM Bogdan Dobrelya <bdobreli at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Since it's deprecated since Queens[0], yes? I think it is time to stop
> > > continuing this method of installation.  Given that I'm not even sure
> >
> > My point and concern retains as before, unless we fully dropped the
> > docker support for Queens (and downstream LTS released for it), we
> > should not modify the t-h-t directory tree, due to associated
> > maintenance of backports complexity reasons
> >

> This is why we have duplication of things in THT.  For environment
> files this is actually an issue due to the fact they are the end user
> interface. But these service files should be internal and where they
> live should not matter.  We already have had this in the past and have
> managed to continue to do backports so I don't think this as a reason
> not to do this clean up.  It feels like we use this as a reason not to
> actually move forward on cleanup and we end up carrying the tech debt.
> By this logic, we'll never be able to cleanup anything if we can't
> handle moving files around.

Yeah. The environment files would contain some level of duplication
until we refactor our plan storage mechanism to use a plain old
tarball (stored in Swift still) instead of storing files in the
expanded format. Swift does not support softlinks, but a tarball would
and thus would allow us to de-dup things in the future.

The patch is here but it needs some love:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/581153/

Dan