[openstack-dev] Proposal for a process to keep up with Python releases

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Oct 25 20:43:09 UTC 2018

On 25/10/18 1:38 PM, William M Edmonds wrote:
> Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote on 10/22/2018 03:12:46 PM:
>  > On 22/10/18 10:33 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>  > > On 10/19/18 5:17 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>  > >> Integration Tests
>  > >> -----------------
>  > >>
>  > >> Integration tests do test, amongst other things, integration with
>  > >> non-openstack-supplied things in the distro, so it's important that we
>  > >> test on the actual distros we have identified as popular.[2] It's also
>  > >> important that every project be testing on the same distro at the
> end of
>  > >> a release, so we can be sure they all work together for users.
>  > >
>  > > I find very disturbing to see the project only leaning toward these
> only
>  > > 2 distributions. Why not SuSE & Debian?
>  >
>  > The bottom line is it's because targeting those two catches 88% of our
>  > users. (For once I did not make this statistic up.)
>  >
>  > Also note that in practice I believe almost everything is actually
>  > tested on Ubuntu LTS, and only TripleO is testing on CentOS. It's
>  > difficult to imagine how to slot another distro into the mix without
>  > doubling up on jobs.
>
> I think you meant 78%, assuming you were looking at the latest User
> Survey results [1], page 55. Still a hefty number.

I never know how to read those weird 3-way bar charts they have in the
user survey, but that actually adds up to 91% by the looks of it (I
believe you forgot to count RHEL). The numbers were actually slightly
lower in the full-year data for 2017 that I used (from
https://www.openstack.org/analytics - I can't give you a direct link
because Javascript <sigh>).

> It is important to note that the User Survey lumps all versions of a
> given OS together, whereas the TC reference [2] only considers the
> latest LTS/stable version. If the User Survey split out latests
> LTS/stable versions vs. others (e.g. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS), I expect we'd
> see Ubuntu 18.04 LTS + Centos 7 adding up to much less than 78%.

This is true, although we don't know by how much. (FWIW I can almost
guarantee that virtually all of the CentOS/RHEL users are on 7, but I'm
sure the same is not the case for Ubuntu 16.04.)