[openstack-dev] [nova][limits] Does ANYONE at all use the quota class functionality in Nova?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 18:00:08 UTC 2018

On 10/25/2018 01:38 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
> On 10/24/2018 9:10 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> Nova's API has the ability to create "quota classes", which are
>> basically limits for a set of resource types. There is something
>> called the "default quota class" which corresponds to the limits in
>> the CONF.quota section. Quota classes are basically templates of
>> limits to be applied if the calling project doesn't have any stored
>> project-specific limits.
>>
>> Has anyone ever created a quota class that is different from "default"?
>
> The Compute API specifically says:
>
> "Only ‘default’ quota class is valid and used to set the default quotas,
> all other quota class would not be used anywhere."
>
> What this API does provide is the ability to set new default quotas for
> *all* projects at once rather than individually specifying new defaults
> for each project.

It's a "defaults template", yes.

The alternative is, you know, to just set the default values in
CONF.quota, which is what I said above. Or, if you want project X to
have different quota limits from those CONF-driven defaults, then set
the quotas for the project to some different values via the
os-quota-sets API (or better yet, just use Keystone's /limits API when
we write the "limits driver" into Nova). The issue is that the
os-quota-classes API is currently blocking *me* writing that "limits
driver" in Nova because I don't want to port nova-specific functionality
(like quota classes) to a limits driver when the Keystone /limits
endpoint doesn't have that functionality and nobody I know of has ever
used it.

Chris, are you advocating for *keeping* the os-quota-classes API?

Best,
-jay