[openstack-dev] [TripleO] easily identifying how services are configured

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Thu Oct 25 15:24:36 UTC 2018

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 9:16 AM Bogdan Dobrelya <bdobreli at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/19/18 8:04 PM, Alex Schultz wrote:

> >> That patch takes the approach of removing baremetal support. Is that
> >> what we agreed to do?
> >>

> > Since it's deprecated since Queens[0], yes? I think it is time to stop
> > continuing this method of installation.  Given that I'm not even sure
>
> My point and concern retains as before, unless we fully dropped the
> docker support for Queens (and downstream LTS released for it), we
> should not modify the t-h-t directory tree, due to associated
> maintenance of backports complexity reasons

This is why we have duplication of things in THT.  For environment
files this is actually an issue due to the fact they are the end user
interface. But these service files should be internal and where they
live should not matter.  We already have had this in the past and have
managed to continue to do backports so I don't think this as a reason
not to do this clean up.  It feels like we use this as a reason not to
actually move forward on cleanup and we end up carrying the tech debt.
By this logic, we'll never be able to cleanup anything if we can't
handle moving files around.

I think there are some patches to do soft links (dprince might be able
to provide the patches) which could at least handle this backward
compatibility around locations, but I think we need to actually move
forward on the simplification of the service definitions unless
there's a blocking technical issue with this effort.

Thanks,
-Alex