[openstack-dev] [manila][tc] Seeking feedback on the OpenStack cloud vision

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Oct 24 15:14:03 UTC 2018

Greetings, Manila team!
As you may be aware, I've been working with other folks in the community
on documenting a vision for OpenStack clouds (formerly known as the
'Technical Vision') - essentially to interpret the mission statement in
long-form, in a way that we can use to actually help guide decisions.
You can read the latest draft here: https://review.openstack.org/592205

We're trying to get feedback from as many people as possible - in many
ways the value is in the process of coming together to figure out what
we're trying to achieve as a community with OpenStack and how we can
work together to build it. The document is there to help us remember
what we decided so we don't have to do it all again over and over.

The vision is structured with two sections that apply broadly to every
project in OpenStack - describing the principles that we believe are
essential to every cloud, and the ones that make OpenStack different
from some other clouds. The third section is a list of design goals that
we want OpenStack as a whole to be able to meet - ideally each project
would be contributing toward one or more of these design goals.

I think that, like Cinder, Manila would qualify as contributing to the
'Basic Physical Data Center Management' goal, since it also allows users
to access external storage providers through a standardised API.

If you would like me or another TC member to join one of your team IRC
meetings to discuss further what the vision means for your team, please
questions in the TC IRC channel, #openstack-tc - there's more of us
around during Office Hours
(https://governance.openstack.org/tc/#office-hours), but you can talk to
us at any time.

Feedback can also happen either in this thread or on the review
https://review.openstack.org/592205

If the team is generally happy with the vision as it is and doesn't have
any specific feedback, that's cool but I'd like to request that at least
the PTL leave a vote on the review. It's important to know whether we
are actually developing a consensus in the community or just talking to
ourselves :)

many thanks,
Zane.