[openstack-dev] [nova] Metadata API cross joining "instance_metadata" and "instance_system_metadata"

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Mon Oct 22 18:17:43 UTC 2018

> We haven't been doing this (intentionally) for quite some time, as we
> query and fill metadata linearly:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/db/sqlalchemy/api.py#L2244
>
> and have since 2013 (Havana):
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/26136/
>
> So unless there has been a regression that is leaking those columns back
> into the join list, I'm not sure why the query you show would be
> generated.

Ah, Matt Riedemann just pointed out on IRC that we're not doing it on
single-instance fetch, which is what you'd be hitting in this path. We
use that approach in a lot of places where the rows would also be
multiplied by the number of instances, but not in the single case. So,
that makes sense now.

--Dan