[openstack-dev] [nova] Metadata API cross joining "instance_metadata" and "instance_system_metadata"

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 17:07:20 UTC 2018

On 10/22/2018 11:59 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> Thanks for this. Have you debugged to the point of knowing where the
> initial DB query is starting from?
>
> Looking at history, my guess is this is the change which introduced it
> for all requests:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/276861/

 From that change, as far as I can tell, we only needed to pre-join on
metadata because of setting the "launch_metadata" variable:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/276861/1/nova/api/metadata/base.py@145

I don't see anything directly using system_metadata, although that one
is sometimes tricky and could be lazy-loaded elsewhere.

I do know that starting in ocata we use system_metadata for dynamic
vendor metadata:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/ocata/nova/api/metadata/vendordata_dynamic.py#L85

Added in change: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/417780/

But if you don't provide vendor data then that should not be a problem.

Matt