[openstack-dev] Proposal for a process to keep up with Python releases

Corey Bryant corey.bryant at canonical.com
Mon Oct 22 14:00:44 UTC 2018

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 3:46 PM Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> openstack-python3-treasure-jobs for every repo before the end of the
> >> cycle. We'll have goal champions as usual following up and helping teams
> >> with the process. We'll know where the problem areas are because we'll
> >> have added non-voting jobs for any new Python versions to the previous
> >> release's template.
> >
> > I don't know that this needs to be a project wide goal if you can just
> update the template on the master branch where the template is defined. Do
> that then every project is now running with the up to date version of the
> template. We should probably advertise when this is happening with some
> links to python version x.y breakages/features, but the process itself
> should be quick.
>
> Either way, it'll be project teams themselves fixing any broken tests
> due to a new version being added. So we can either have a formal
> project-wide goal where we project-manage that process across the space
> of a release, or a de-facto project-wide goal where we break everybody
> and then nothing gets merged until they fix it.
>
> > As for python version range selection I worry that that the criteria
> about relies on too much guesswork.
>
> Some guesswork is going to be inevitable, unfortunately, (we have no way
> of knowing what will be in CentOS 8, for example) but I agree that we
> should try to tighten up the criteria as much as possible.
>
> > I do think we should do our best to test future incoming versions of
> python even while not officially supporting them. We will have to support
> them at some point, either directly or via some later version that includes
> the changes from that intermediate version.
>
> +1, I think we should try to add support for higher versions as soon as
> possible. It may take a long time to get into an LTS release, but
> there's bound to be _some_ distro out there where people want to use it.
> (Case in point: Debian really wanted py37 support in Rocky, at which
> point a working 3.7 wasn't even available in _any_ Ubuntu release, let
> alone an LTS). That's why I said "the latest one we can find in any
> distro" - if we have any way to test it at all then we should.
>
> > Could the criteria be:
> > Support the lowest version of python on a supported distro release and
> the highest version of python on a supported distro
>
> As of now we can't objectively determine the minimum version because it
> isn't the future yet. That may change once every distro is on Python 3
> though.
>
> > and test (but not support so we can drop testing for this python version
> on stable branches) the current latest release of python?
>
> That's certainly worth considering; we could tighten up the range on
> stable branches. I think we'd need to hear from Ubuntu and Debian folks
> what they think about that. My guess is that they'd prefer even stable
> branches to continue testing recent versions, so that they could be used
> on Debian unstable and on Ubuntu between LTS releases.

Zane and all, thanks very much for pushing this initiative forward. The
general approach makes sense to me. Proactively testing with the latest
python versions would be awesome and would close a much needed gap.

As for testing stable branches with the latest Python versions. I believe
this refers to the latest Python version available anywhere, ie. perhaps an
unstable release from sid. In general it would make sense to to continue
testing the most recent stable release the same way it was tested when it
was master. There's a good chance that by the time stable/xyz branches are
cut from master, the unstable Python version that was being tested in
master is now in a stable distro release. For example, for the OpenStack U
release this will most likely be the case for Ubuntu with Python 3.8.

Here are the versions we support in Ubuntu, and (most likely) will support
in the future, in case it's helpful:

Queens: py3.5 (16.04); py3.6 (18.04)
Rocky: py3.6 (18.04); py3.6 (18.10)
Stein: py3.6 (18.04); py3.7 (19.04)