[openstack-dev] [manila] [contribute]

Tom Barron tpb at dyncloud.net
Fri Oct 19 14:55:36 UTC 2018

On 19/10/18 15:27 +0300, Leni Kadali Mutungi wrote:
>Hi all.
>
>I've downloaded the manila project from GitHub as a zip
>file, unpacked it and have run `git fetch --depth=1` and
>been progressively running `git fetch --deepen=5` to get
>the commit history I need. For future reference, would a
>shallow clone e.g. `git clone depth=1` be enough to start
>working on the project or should one have the full commit
>history of the project?
>
>--
>-- Kind regards,
>Leni Kadali Mutungi

Hi Leni,

First I'd like to extend a warm welcome to you as a new manila project
contributor!  We have some contributor/developer documentation [1]
that you may find useful. If you find any gaps or misinformation, we
will be happy to work with you to address these.  In addition to this
email list, the #openstack-manila IRC channel on freenode is a good
place to ask questions.  Many of us run irc bouncers so we'll see the
question even if we're not looking right when it is asked.  Finally,
we have a meeting most weeks on Thursdays at 1500UTC in
#openstack-meeting-alt -- agendas are posted here [2].  Also, here is
our work-plan for the current Stein development cycle [3].

Now for your question about shallow clones.  I hope others who know
more will chime in but here are my thoughts ...

Although having the full commit history for the project is useful, it
is certainly possible to get started with a shallow clone of the
project.  That said, I'm not sure if the space and
download-time/bandwidth gains are going to be that significant because
once you have the workspace you will want to run unit tests, pep8,
etc. using tox as explained in the developer documentation mentioned
earlier.   That will download virtual environments for manila's
dependencies in your workspace (under .tox directory) that dwarf the
space used for manila proper.

$ git clone --depth=1 git at github.com:openstack/manila.git shallow-manila
Cloning into 'shallow-manila'...
$ git clone git at github.com:openstack/manila.git deep-manila
Cloning into 'deep-manila'...
$ du -sh shallow-manila deep-manila/
20M	shallow-manila
35M	deep-manila/

But after we run tox inside shallow-manila and deep-manila we see:

$ du -sh shallow-manila deep-manila/
589M	shallow-manila
603M	deep-manila/

Similarly, you are likely to want to run devstack locally and that
will clone the repositories for the other openstack components you
need and the savings from shallow clones won't be that significant
relative to the total needed.

Happy developing!

-- Tom Barron (Manila PTL) irc: tbarron

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/manila/rocky/contributor/index.html