[openstack-dev] [placement] update 18-42

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Oct 19 12:10:23 UTC 2018

HTML: https://anticdent.org/placement-update-18-42.html

After a gap from when I was away last week, here's this week's
placement update. The situation this week remains much the same as
last week: focus on specs and the bigger issues associated with
extraction.

# Most Important

The major factors that need attention are managing database
migrations and associated tooling and getting the ball rolling on
properly producing documentation. More on both of these things in
the extraction section below.

# What's Changed

mnaser found an [issue](https://launchpad.net/bugs/1798163) with the
migrations associated with consumer ids. A fix was created [in
nova](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/611115/) and [ported into
placement](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/611165/) but it raised
some [questions on what to do with those
migrations](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-October/135796.html)
in the extracted placement. Some work also needs to be done to check
to make sure the solutions will work in postgresql, as it might
tickle the way it is more strict about group by clauses.

# Bugs

* Placement related [bugs not yet in progress](https://goo.gl/TgiPXb): 16.
   -1.
* [In progress placement bugs](https://goo.gl/vzGGDQ) 8.

# Specs

There's a [spec review
sprint](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-October/135748.html)
this coming Tuesday. This may be missing some newer specs because I
got exhausted keeping tabs on the ones that already exist.

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/544683/>
   Account for host agg allocation ratio in placement
   (Still in rocky/)

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/595236/>
   Add subtree filter for GET /resource_providers

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/597601/>
   Resource provider - request group mapping in allocation candidate

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549067/>
   VMware: place instances on resource pool
   (still in rocky/)

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/555081/>
   Standardize CPU resource tracking

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/599957/>
   Allow overcommit of dedicated CPU
   (Has an alternative which changes allocations to a float)

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/600016/>
   List resource providers having inventory

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/593475/>
   Bi-directional enforcement of traits

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/591037/>
   Modelling passthrough devices for report to placement

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/509042/>
   Propose counting quota usage from placement and API database
   (A bit out of date but may be worth resurrecting)

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/603585/>
   Spec: allocation candidates in tree

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/603805/>
   [WIP] generic device discovery policy

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/603955/>
   Nova Cyborg interaction specification.

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/601596/>
   supporting virtual NVDIMM devices

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/603352/>
   Spec: Support filtering by forbidden aggregate

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/552924/>
   Proposes NUMA topology with RPs

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/552105/>
   Support initial allocation ratios

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/569011/>
   Count quota based on resource class

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/607989/>
   WIP: High Precision Event Timer (HPET) on x86 guests

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/571111/>
   Add support for emulated virtual TPM

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/510235/>
   Limit instance create max_count (spec) (has some concurrency
   issues related placement)

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/141219/>
   Adds spec for instance live resize

# Main Themes

## Making Nested Useful

Work on getting nova's use of nested resource providers happy and
fixing bugs discovered in placement in the process. This is creeping
ahead, but feels somewhat stalled out, presumably because people are
busy with other things.

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/use-nested-allocation-candidates>

I feel like I'm missing some things in this area. Please let me know
if there are others. This is related:

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/589085/>
   Pass allocations to virt drivers when resizing

## Extraction

There continue to be three main tasks in regard to placement
extraction:

1. upgrade and integration testing
2. database schema migration and management
3. documentation publishing

The upgrade aspect of (1) is in progress with a [patch to
grenade](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/604454/) and a [patch to
devstack](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/600162/). This is very
close to working. A main blocker is needing a proper tool for
managing the creation and migration of database tables (more below).

My experiments with using gabbi-tempest are getting [a bit
closer](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/611678/).

Successful devstack is dependent on us having a reasonable solution
to (2). For the moment [a hacked up
script](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/600161/) is being used to
create tables. Ed has started some work on [moving to
alembic](https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:1alembic).

We have work in progress to tune up the documentation but we are not
yet publishing documentation (3). We need to work out a plan for
this. Presumably we don't want to be publishing docs until we are
publishing code, but the interdependencies need to be teased out.

# Other

Various placement changes out in the world.

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1798163>
   The fix, in placement, for the consumer id group by problem.

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/601866/>
   Generate sample policy in placement directory
   (This is a bit stuck on not being sure what the right thing to do
   is.)

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/initial-allocation-ratios>
   Improve handling of default allocation ratios

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:minimum-bandwidth-allocation-placement-api>
   Neutron minimum bandwidth implementation

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/607953/>
   TripleO: Use valid_interfaces instead of os_interface for placement

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/602160/>
   Add OWNERSHIP $SERVICE traits

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/604182/>
   Puppet: Initial cookiecutter and import from nova::placement

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/601407/>
   WIP: Add placement to devstack-gate PROJECTS
   This was done somewhere else wasn't it, so could this be
   abandoned?

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/586960/>
   zun: Use placement for unified resource management

# End

Hi!