[openstack-dev] [oslo][taskflow] Thoughts on moving taskflow out of openstack/oslo

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 22:41:46 UTC 2018

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 04:27:00PM -0500, Monty Taylor wrote:
> On 10/15/2018 05:49 AM, Stephen Finucane wrote:
> > On Wed, 2018-10-10 at 18:51 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > > On 2018-10-10 13:35:00 -0500 (-0500), Greg Hill wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Travis CI has gained the ability to prevent you from merging changes
> > > which fail testing? Or do you mean something else when you refer to
> > > it as a "gatekeeper" here?
> >
> > Yup but it's GitHub feature rather than specifically a Travis CI
> > feature.
> >
> >    https://help.github.com/articles/about-required-status-checks/
> >
> > Doesn't help the awful pull request workflow but that's neither here
> > nor there.
>
> It's also not the same as gating.
>
> The github feature is the equivalent of "Make sure the votes in check are
> green before letting someone click the merge button"
>
> The zuul feature is "run the tests between the human decision to merge and
> actually merging with the code in the state it will actually be in when
> merged".
>
> It sounds nitpicky, but the semantic distinction is important - and it
> catches things more frequently than you might imagine.
>
> That said - Zuul supports github, and there are Zuuls run by not-openstack,
> so taking a project out of OpenStack's free infrastructure does not mean you
> have to also abandon Zuul. The OpenStack Infra team isn't going to run a
> zuul to gate patches on a GitHub project - but other people might be happy
> to let you use a Zuul so that you don't have to give up the Zuul features in
> place today. If you go down that road, I'd suggest pinging the
> softwarefactory-project.io folks or the openlab folks.

As somebody who has recently moved from a gerrit workflow to a github
workflow using Zuul, keep in mind this is not a 1:1 feature map.  The
biggest difference, as people have said, is code review in github.com is
terrible.  It was something added after the fact, I wish daily to be
able to use gerrit again :)

Zuul does make things better, and 100% with Monty here.  You want Zuul
to be the gate, not travis CI.

- Paul