[openstack-dev] [publiccloud-wg][sdk][osc][tc] Extracting vendor profiles from openstacksdk

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Oct 15 21:03:14 UTC 2018

Heya,

Tobias and I were chatting at OpenStack Days Nordic about the Public
Cloud Working Group potentially taking over as custodians of the vendor
profile information [0][1] we keep in openstacksdk (and previously in
os-client-config)

I think this is a fine idea, but we've got some dancing to do I think.

A few years ago Dean and I talked about splitting the vendor data into
its own repo. We decided not to at the time because it seemed like extra
unnecessary complication. But I think we may have reached that time.

We should split out a new repo to hold the vendor data json files. We
can manage this repo pretty much how we manage the
service-types-authority [2] data now. Also similar to that (and similar
to tzdata) these are files that contain information that is true
currently and is not release specific - so it should be possible to
update to the latest vendor files without updating to the latest
openstacksdk.

If nobody objects, I'll start working through getting a couple of new
repos created. I'm thinking openstack/vendor-profile-data, owned/managed
by Public Cloud WG, with the json files, docs, json schema, etc, and a
second one, openstack/os-vendor-profiles - owned/managed by the
openstacksdk team that's just like os-service-types [3] and is a
tiny/thin library that exposes the files to python (so there's something
to depend on) and gets proposed patches from zuul when new content is
landed in openstack/vendor-profile-data.

How's that sound?

Thanks!
Monty

[0]