[openstack-dev] [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 19:00:07 UTC 2018

On 12/10/18 8:59 AM, Corey Bryant wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:19 AM Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com
> <mailto:aj at suse.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/10/2018 23.10, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>      > I might have only pointed this out on IRC so far, but the
>      > expectation is that testing 3.5 and 3.6 at the same time was merely
>      > transitional since official OpenStack projects should be moving
>      > their testing from Ubuntu Xenial (which provides 3.5) to Ubuntu
>      > Bionic (which provides 3.6 and, now, 3.7 as well) during the Stein
>      > cycle and so will drop 3.5 testing on master in the process.
>
>     Agreed, this needs some larger communication and explanation on what
>     to do,
>

> The good news is we now have an initial change underway and successful,
> dropping py35 and enabling py37: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/609557/

Hey Corey,
Thanks for getting this underway, it's really important that we keep
moving forward (we definitely got behind on the 3.6 transition and are
paying for it now).

That said, I don't think we should be dropping support/testing for 3.5.
According to:

   https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/pti/python.html

3.5 is the only Python3 version that we require all projects to run
tests for.

Out goal is to get everyone running 3.6 unit tests by the end of Stein:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/python3-first.html#python-3-6-unit-test-jobs

but we explicitly said there that we were not dropping support for 3.5
as part of the goal, and should continue to do so until we can effect an
orderly transition later. Personally, I would see that including waiting
for all the 3.5-supporting projects to add 3.6 jobs (which has been
blocked up until ~this point, as we are only just now close to getting
all of the repos using local Zuul config).

I do agree that anything that works on 3.5 and 3.7 will almost certainly
work on 3.6, so if you wanted to submit a patch to that goal saying that
projects could add a unit test job for *either* 3.6 or 3.7 (in addition
to 3.5) then I would probably support that. We could then switch all the
3.5 jobs to 3.6 later when we eventually drop 3.5 support. That would
mean we'd only ever run 3 unit test jobs (and 2 once 2.7 is eventually
dropped) - for the oldest and newest versions of Python 3 that a project
supports.

cheers,
Zane.

[This thread was also discussed on IRC starting here:
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-10-15.log.html#t2018-10-15T18:09:05]