[openstack-dev] [glance][upgrade-checkers] Question about glance rocky upgrade release note

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 15:49:01 UTC 2018

On 9/24/18 3:13 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 9/24/2018 2:06 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>> Are there more specific docs about how to configure the 'image import'
>> feature so that I can be sure I'm careful? In other words, are there
>> specific things a "glance-status upgrade check" check could look at
>> and say, "your image import configuration is broken, here are details
>> on how you should do this"
Apologies for this delayed reply.
> I guess this answers the question about docs:
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/glance/latest/admin/interoperable-image-import.html

Yes, you found the correct docs.  They could probably use a revision to
eliminate some of the references to Pike and Queens, but I think the
content is accurate with respect to proper configuration of image import.
> Would a basic upgrade check be such that if glance-api.conf contains
> enable_image_import=False, you're going to have issues since that option
> is removed in Rocky?

I completely missed this question when I saw this email a few weeks ago.

Yes, if a Queens glance-api.conf has enable_image_import=False, then it
was disabled on purpose since the default in Queens was True.  Given the
Rocky defaults for import-related config (namely, all import_methods are
enabled), the operator may need to make some kind of adjustment.

As a side point, although the web-download import method is enabled by
default in Rocky, it has whitelist/blacklist configurability to restrict
what kind of URIs end-users may access.  By default, end users are only
able to access URIs using the http or https scheme on the standard ports.

Thanks for working on the upgrade-checker goal for Glance!