[openstack-dev] [oslo][taskflow] Thoughts on moving taskflow out of openstack/oslo

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 18:16:28 UTC 2018

On 10/10/2018 01:41 PM, Greg Hill wrote:
> I've been out of the openstack loop for a few years, so I hope this
> reaches the right folks.
>
> Josh Harlow (original author of taskflow and related libraries) and I
> have been discussing the option of moving taskflow out of the openstack
> umbrella recently. This move would likely also include the futurist and
> automaton libraries that are primarily used by taskflow. The idea would
> be to just host them on github and use the regular Github features for
> Issues, PRs, wiki, etc, in the hopes that this would spur more
> development. Taskflow hasn't had any substantial contributions in
> several years and it doesn't really seem that the current openstack devs
> have a vested interest in moving it forward. I would like to move it
> forward, but I don't have an interest in being bound by the openstack
> workflow (this is why the project stagnated as core reviewers were
> pulled on to other projects and couldn't keep up with the review
> backlog, so contributions ground to a halt).

I'm not sure how using pull requests instead of Gerrit changesets would
help "core reviewers being pulled on to other projects"?

Is this just about preferring not having a non-human gatekeeper like
Gerrit+Zuul and being able to just have a couple people merge whatever
they want to the master HEAD without needing to talk about +2/+W rights?

If it's just about preferring the pull request workflow versus the
Gerrit rebase workflow, just say so. Same for just preferring the Github
UI versus Gerrit's UI (which I agree is awful).

Anyway, it's cool with me to "free" taskflow from the onerous yoke of
OpenStack development if that's what the contributors to it want.

Best,
-jay