[openstack-dev] [nova] Supporting force live-migrate and force evacuate with nested allocations

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Wed Oct 10 10:32:37 UTC 2018

Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback. I feel the following consensus is forming:

1) remove the force flag in a new microversion. I've proposed a spec
about that API change [1]

2) in the old microversions change the blind allocation copy to gather
every resource from a nested source RPs too and try to allocate that
from the destination root RP. In nested allocation cases putting this
allocation to placement will fail and nova will fail the migration /
evacuation. However it will succeed if the server does not need nested
allocation neither on the source nor on the destination host (a.k.a the
legacy case). Or if the server has nested allocation on the source host
but does not need nested allocation on the destination host (for
example the dest host does not have nested RP tree yet).

I will start implementing #2) as part of the
use-nested-allocation-candidate bp soon and will continue with #1)
later in the cycle.

Nothing is set in stone yet so feedback is still very appreciated.

Cheers,
gibi

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/609330/