[openstack-dev] [cinder] [nova] Do we need a "force" parameter in cinder "re-image" API?

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Mon Oct 8 13:54:34 UTC 2018

On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 03:09:36PM +0800, Yikun Jiang wrote:
> In Denver, we agree to add a new "re-image" API in cinder to support upport
> volume-backed server rebuild with a new image.
>
> An initial blueprint has been drafted in [3], welcome to review it, thanks.
> : )
>
> [snip]
>
> The "force" parameter idea comes from [4], means that
> 1. we can re-image an "available" volume directly.
> 2. we can't re-image "in-use"/"reserved" volume directly.
> 3. we can only re-image an "in-use"/"reserved" volume with "force"
> parameter.
>
> And it means nova need to always call re-image API with an extra "force"
> parameter,
> because the volume status is "in-use" or "reserve" when we rebuild the
> server.
>
> *So, what's you idea? Do we really want to add this "force" parameter?*

I would prefer we have the "force" parameter, even if it is something that will
always be defaulted to True from Nova.

Having this exposed as a REST API means anyone could call it, not just Nova
code. So as protection from someone doing something that they are not really
clear on the full implications of, having a flag in there to guard volumes that
are already attached or reserved for shelved instances is worth the very minor
extra overhead.