[openstack-dev] [Release-job-failures] Release of openstack/os-log-merger failed

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Oct 4 22:36:03 UTC 2018

On 2018-10-04 18:21:50 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> writes:
>
> > On 2018-10-04 17:57:06 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > [...]
> >>   HTTPError: 400 Client Error: Invalid value for classifiers. Error:
> >>   'Topic:: Utilities' is not a valid choice for this field for url:
> >>   https://upload.pypi.org/legacy/
> >>
> >> I'm not aware of any way to test those values easily before doing an
> >> upload. If someone knows of a way, please let me know.
> >
> > I started writing a distcheck utility based on some validation code
> > flit uses, but now that twine has a check option there is expressed
> > intent by Dustin to do it there (see description of
> > https://github.com/pypa/twine/pull/395 for details) which seems like
> > a more natural solution anyway.
>
> OK, good. The existing check job for packaging already runs 'twine
> check' so we should be covered when that feature is merged and released.

Well, the TODO comment at
https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/blob/55230d8/warehouse/forklift/legacy.py#L341-L343
expresses an interest in seeing Warehouse's (the current PyPI
implementation) metadata validation code move to the
https://pypi.org/project/packaging/ library, which should be clear
to progress now that https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0459/
(which supplanted the withdrawn PEP 426 mentioned in the TODO) has
been finalized. Someone still needs to do that work, and then update
`twine check` to use it (probably won't be me either, unless I
somehow grow some extra spare time). This would be an awesome
project for *someone* interested in making new inroads in the Python
packaging community.
--
Jeremy Stanley