[openstack-dev] Sphinx testing fun

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Thu Oct 4 15:20:23 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-10-04 at 07:21 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Stephen Finucane <sfinucan at redhat.com> writes:
>
> > The tests in os-api-ref recently broke:
> >
> >   http://logs.openstack.org/62/606362/1/check/openstack-tox-py35/8b709de/testr_results.html.gz
> >
> > Specifically, we're seeing errors likes this:
> >
> >   ft1.1: os_api_ref.tests.test_basic_example.TestBasicExample.test_rest_method_StringException: Traceback (most recent call last):
> >     File "/home/zuul/src/git.openstack.org/openstack/os-api-ref/.tox/py35/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sphinx_testing/util.py", line 143, in decorator
> >        func(*(args + (app, status, warning)), **kwargs)
> >      File "/home/zuul/src/git.openstack.org/openstack/os-api-ref/os_api_ref/tests/test_basic_example.py", line 41, in setUp
> >        self.html = (app.outdir / 'index.html').read_text(encoding='utf-8')
> >    TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for /: 'str' and 'str'
> >
> > Which is wrong because 'app.outdir' is not supposed to be an instance
> > of 'unicode' but rather 'sphinx_testing.path.path' [1] (which overrides
> > the '/' operator to act as concatenation because operator overloading
> > is always a good idea 😒) [2].
>
> Is that a change in Sphinx's API? Or sphinx_testing's?

It's a change in Sphinx, though not in the API [1]. I should really
stop playing with Sphinx.

> > Anyway, we can go figure out what's changed here and handle it but this
> > is, at best, going to be a band aid. The fact is 'sphinx_testing' is
> > unmaintained and has been for some time now. The new hotness is
> > 'sphinx.testing' [3], which is provided (with zero documentation) as
> > part of Sphinx. Unfortunately, this uses pytest fixtures [4] which I'm
> > pretty sure Monty (and a few others?) are vehemently against using in
> > OpenStack. That leaves us with three options:
> >
> >  * Take over 'sphinx_testing' and bring it up-to-date. Maintain
> >    forever.
> >  * Start using 'sphinx.testing' and everything it comes with
> >  * Delete any tests that use 'sphinx_testing' and deal with the lack of
> >    coverage
>
> Could we change our tests to use pathlib to wrap app.outdir and get the
> same results as before?

That's what I've done [2], which is kind of based on how I fixed this
in Sphinx. However, this is at best a stopgap. The fact remains that
'sphinx_testing' is dead and the large changes that Sphinx is
undergoing (2.0 will be Python 3 only, with multiple other fixes) will
make further breakages more likely. Unless we want a repeat of the Mox
situation, I do think we should start thinking about this sooner rather
than later.

Stephen

[1] https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/commit/3a85b3502f
[2] https://review.openstack.org/607984