[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [ironic] [nova] [tripleo] Deprecation of Nova's integration with Ironic Capabilities and ComputeCapabilitiesFilter

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 22:36:56 UTC 2018

On 10/01/2018 06:04 PM, Julia Kreger wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 2:41 PM Eric Fried <openstack at fried.cc> wrote:
>

>      > So say the user requests a node that supports UEFI because their
>     image
>      > needs UEFI. Which workflow would you want here?
>      >
>      > 1) The operator (or ironic?) has already configured the node to
>     boot in
>      > UEFI mode. Only pre-configured nodes advertise the "supports
>     UEFI" trait.
>      >
>      > 2) Any node that supports UEFI mode advertises the trait. Ironic
>     ensures
>      > that UEFI mode is enabled before provisioning the machine.
>      >
>      > I imagine doing #2 by passing the traits which were specifically
>      > requested by the user, from Nova to Ironic, so that Ironic can do the
>      > right thing for the user.
>      >
>      > Your proposal suggests that the user request the "supports UEFI"
>     trait,
>      > and *also* pass some glance UUID which the user understands will make
>      > sure the node actually boots in UEFI mode. Something like:
>      >
>      > openstack server create --flavor METAL_12CPU_128G --trait
>     SUPPORTS_UEFI
>      > --config-data $TURN_ON_UEFI_UUID
>      >
>      > Note that I pass --trait because I hope that will one day be
>     supported
>      > and we can slow down the flavor explosion.
>
>     IMO --trait would be making things worse (but see below). I think UEFI
>     with Jay's model would be more like:
>
>        openstack server create --flavor METAL_12CPU_128G --config-data $UEFI
>
>     where the UEFI profile would be pretty trivial, consisting of
>     placement.traits.required = ["BOOT_MODE_UEFI"] and object.boot_mode =
>     "uefi".
>
>     I agree that this seems kind of heavy, and that it would be nice to be
>     able to say "boot mode is UEFI" just once. OTOH I get Jay's point that
>     we need to separate the placement decision from the instance
>     configuration.
>
>     That said, what if it was:
>
>       openstack config-profile create --name BOOT_MODE_UEFI --json -
>       {
>        "type": "boot_mode_scheme",
>        "version": 123,
>        "object": {
>            "boot_mode": "uefi"
>        },
>        "placement": {
>         "traits": {
>          "required": [
>           "BOOT_MODE_UEFI"
>          ]
>         }
>        }
>       }
>       ^D
>
>     And now you could in fact say
>
>       openstack server create --flavor foo --config-profile BOOT_MODE_UEFI
>
>     using the profile name, which happens to be the same as the trait name
> [...]

I guess I'll just drop the idea of doing this properly then. It's true
that the placement traits concept can be hacked up and the virt driver
can just pass a list of trait strings to the Ironic API and that's the
most expedient way to get what the 90% of people apparently want. It's
also true that it will add a bunch of unmaintainable tribal knowledge
into the interface between Nova and Ironic, but that has been the case
for multiple years.

The flavor explosion problem will continue to get worse for those of us
who deal with its pain (Oath in particular feels this) because the
interface between nova flavors and Ironic instance capabilities will
continue to be super-tightly-coupled.

For the record, I would have been happier if someone had proposed
separating the instance configuration data in the flavor extra-specs
from the notion of required placement constraints (i.e. traits). You
could call the extra_spec "deploy_template_id" if you wanted and that
extra spec value could have been passed to Ironic during node
provisioning instead of the list of placement constraints (traits).

So, you'd have a list of actual placement traits for an instance that
looked like this:

required=BOOT_MODE_UEFI,STORAGE_HARDWARE_RAID

and you'd have a flavor extra spec called "deploy_template_id" with a
value of the deploy template configuration data you wanted to
communicate to Ironic. The Ironic virt driver could then just look for
the "deploy_template_id" extra spec and pass the value of that to the
Ironic API instead of passing a list of traits.

That would have at least satisfied my desire to separate configuration
data from placement constraints.

Anyway, I'm done trying to please my own desires for a clean solution to
this.

Best,
-jay