[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee status update for 5 November

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Nov 5 21:11:59 UTC 2018

This is the weekly summary of work being done by the Technical Committee
members. The full list of active items is managed in the wiki:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

We also track TC objectives for the cycle using StoryBoard at:
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Recent Activity ==

It has been three weeks since the last update email, in part due to my
absence. We have lots of updates this time around.

Project updates:

* Add os_manila to openstack-ansible:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/608403/
* Add cells charms and interfaces:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/608866/
* Add octavia charm: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/608283/
* Add puppet-crane: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/610015/
* Add openstack-helm images repository:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/611895/
* Add blazar-specs repository: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/612431/
* Add openstack-helm docs repository:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/611896/
* Retire anchor: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/611187/
* Remove Dragonflow from governance:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/613856/

Other updates:

* Reword "open source" definition in 4 Opens document to remove language
  that does not come through clearly when translated:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/613894/
* Support "Train" as a candidate name for the T series:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/611511/
* Update the charter section on TC meetings:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/608751/

== TC Meetings ==

In order to fulfill our obligations under the OpenStack Foundation
bylaws, the TC needs to hold meetings at least once each quarter. We
agreed to meet monthly, and to emphasize agenda items that help us move
initiatives forward while leaving most of the discussion of those topics
to the mailing list. Our first meeting was held on 1 Nov. The agendas
for all of our meetings will be sent to the openstack-dev mailing list
in advance, and links to the logs and summary will be sent as a follow
up after the meeting.

* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-November/136220.html

The next meeting will be 6 December 1400 UTC in #openstack-tc

== Team Liaisons ==

The TC liaisons to each project team for the Stein series are now
assigned. Please contact your liaison if you have any issues the TC can
help with, and watch for email from them to check in with your team
before the end of this development cycle.

* https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStack_health_tracker#Project_Teams

== Sessions at the Forum ==

Many of us will be meeting in Berlin next week for the OpenStack Summit
and Forum. There are several sessions related to project governance or
community that may be of interest.

* Getting OpenStack Users Involved in the Project:
  https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2018/summit-schedule/events/22813/getting-openstack-users-involved-in-the-project
* Community outreach when culture, time zones, and language differ:
  https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2018/summit-schedule/events/22820/community-outreach-when-culture-time-zones-and-language-differ
* Wednesday Keynote segment, Community Contributor Recognition & How to
  Get Started:
  https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2018/summit-schedule/events/22959/community-contributor-recognition-and-how-to-get-started
* Expose SIGs and WGs:
  https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2018/summit-schedule/events/22750/expose-sigs-and-wgs
* Cross-technical leadership session (OpenStack, Kata, StarlingX,
  Airship, Zuul):
  https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2018/summit-schedule/events/22815/cross-technical-leadership-session-openstack-kata-starlingx-airship-zuul
* "Vision for OpenStack clouds" discussion:
  https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2018/summit-schedule/events/22818/vision-for-openstack-clouds-discussion
* Technical Committee Vision Retrospective:
  https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2018/summit-schedule/events/22825/technical-committee-vision-retrospective
* T series community goal discussion:
  https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2018/summit-schedule/events/22814/t-series-community-goal-discussion

== Ongoing Discussions ==

We have several governance changes up for review related to deciding how
we will manage future Python 3 upgrades (including adding 3.7 and
possibly dropping 3.5 during Stein).

* Make python 3 testing requirement less specific:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/611010/
* Explicitly declare stein supported runtimes:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/611080/
* Resolution on keeping up with Python 3 releases:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/613145/

== TC member actions/focus/discussions for the coming week(s) ==

The TC, UC, and leadership of other foundation projects will join the
foundation Board for a joint leadership meeting on 12 November. See the
wiki for details.

* https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/12Nov2018BoardMeeting

== Contacting the TC ==

The Technical Committee uses a series of weekly "office hour" time
slots for synchronous communication. We hope that by having several
such times scheduled, we will have more opportunities to engage
with members of the community from different timezones.

Office hour times in #openstack-tc:

- 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
- 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
- 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

If you have something you would like the TC to discuss, you can add
it to our office hour conversation starter etherpad at:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-office-hour-conversation-starters

Many of us also run IRC bouncers which stay in #openstack-tc most
of the time, so please do not feel that you need to wait for an
office hour time to pose a question or offer a suggestion. You can
use the string "tc-members" to alert the members to your question.

You will find channel logs with past conversations at
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/

If you expect your topic to require significant discussion or to
need input from members of the community other than the TC, please
start a mailing list discussion on openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
and use the subject tag "[tc]" to bring it to the attention of TC
members.