[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] Upgrade concerns with nested Resource Providers

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu May 31 19:35:57 UTC 2018

On 05/31/2018 01:09 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
>> My feeling is that we should not attempt to "migrate" any allocations
>> or inventories between root or child providers within a compute node,
>> period.
>
> While I agree this is the simplest approach, it does put a lot of
> responsibility on the operators to do work to sidestep this issue, which
> might not even apply to them (and knowing if it does might be
> difficult).

Perhaps, yes. Though the process I described is certainly not foreign to
operators. It is a safe and well-practiced approach.

>> The virt drivers should simply error out of update_provider_tree() if
>> there are ANY existing VMs on the host AND the virt driver wishes to
>> begin tracking resources with nested providers.
>>
>> The upgrade operation should look like this:
>>
>> 1) Upgrade placement
>> 2) Upgrade nova-scheduler
>> 3) start loop on compute nodes. for each compute node:
>>   3a) disable nova-compute service on node (to take it out of scheduling)
>>   3b) evacuate all existing VMs off of node
>
> You mean s/evacuate/cold migrate/ of course... :)

I meant evacuate as in `nova host-evacuate-live` with a fall back to
`nova host-servers-migrate` if live migration isn't possible).

>>   3c) upgrade compute node (on restart, the compute node will see no
>>       VMs running on the node and will construct the provider tree inside
>>       update_provider_tree() with an appropriate set of child providers
>>       and inventories on those child providers)
>>   3d) enable nova-compute service on node
>>
>> Which is virtually identical to the "normal" upgrade process whenever
>> there are significant changes to the compute node -- such as upgrading
>> libvirt or the kernel.
>
> Not necessarily. It's totally legit (and I expect quite common) to just
> reboot the host to take kernel changes, bringing back all the instances
> that were there when it resumes.

So, you're saying the normal process is to try upgrading the Linux
kernel and associated low-level libs, wait the requisite amount of time
that takes (can be a long time) and just hope that everything comes back
OK? That doesn't sound like any upgrade I've ever seen. All upgrade
procedures I have seen attempt to get the workloads off of the compute
host before trying anything major (and upgrading a linux kernel or
low-level lib like libvirt is a major thing IMHO).

 > The "normal" case of moving things
> around slide-puzzle-style applies to live migration (which isn't an
> option here).
Sorry, I was saying that for all the lovely resources that have been
bolted on to Nova in the past 5 years (CPU pinning, NUMA topologies, PCI
passthrough, SR-IOV PF/VFs, vGPUs, etc), that if the workload uses
*those* resources, then live migration won't work and that the admin
would need to fall back to nova host-servers-migrate. I wasn't saying
that live migration for all workloads/instances would not be a possibility.

> I think people that can take downtime for the instances would rather
> not have to move things around for no reason if the instance has to
> get shut off anyway.

Maybe. Not sure. But my line of thinking is stick to a single, already
known procedure since that is safe and well-practiced.

Code that we don't have to write means code that doesn't have new bugs
that we'll have to track down and fix.

I'm also thinking that we'd be tracking down and fixing those bugs while
trying to put out a fire that was caused by trying to auto-heal
everything at once on nova-compute startup and resulting in broken state
and an inability of the nova-compute service to start again, essentially
trapping instances on the failed host. ;)

>> Nested resource tracking is another such significant change and should
>> be dealt with in a similar way, IMHO.
>
> This basically says that for anyone to move to rocky, they will have to
> cold migrate every single instance in order to do that upgrade right?

No, sorry if I wasn't clear. They can live-migrate the instances off of
the to-be-upgraded compute host. They would only need to cold-migrate
instances that use the aforementioned non-movable resources.

> I kinda think we need to either:
>
> 1. Make everything perform the pivot on compute node start (which can be
>     re-used by a CLI tool for the offline case)
 >
> 2. Make everything default to non-nested inventory at first, and provide
>     a way to migrate a compute node and its instances one at a time (in
>     place) to roll through.

I would vote for Option #2 if it comes down to it.

If we are going to go through the hassle of writing a bunch of
transformation code in order to keep operator action as low as possible,
I would prefer to consolidate all of this code into the nova-manage (or
nova-status) tool and put some sort of attribute/marker on each compute
node record to indicate whether a "heal" operation has occurred for that
compute node.

Kinda like what Matt's been playing with for the heal_allocations stuff.

At least in that case, we'd have all the transform/heal code in a single
place and we wouldn't need to have much, if any, code in the compute
manager, resource tracker or "scheduler" report client.

Someone (maybe Gibi?) on this thread had mentioned having the virt
driver (in update_provider_tree) do the whole set reserved = total thing
when first attempting to create the child providers. That would work to
prevent the scheduler from attempting to place workloads on those child
providers, but we would still need some marker on the compute node to
indicate to the nova-manage heal_nested_providers (or whatever) command
that the compute node has had its provider tree validated/healed, right?

> We can also document "or do the cold-migration slide puzzle thing" as an
> alternative for people that feel that's more reasonable.
>
> I just think that forcing people to take down their data plane to work
> around our own data model is kinda evil and something we should be
> avoiding at this level of project maturity.

The use of the word "evil" is a little, well, brutal, to describe
something I'm proposing that would just be more work for operators but
(again, IMHO) be the safest proven method for solving this problem. :)

Best,
-jay