[openstack-dev] OpenLab Cross-community Impact

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Thu May 31 18:03:20 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I know we have sent out quite a bit of information over the past few days
with the OpenStack Summit and other updates recently. Additionally there
are plenty of meetings we all attend. I just want to take time to point to
something very significant in my opinion and again give big thanks to
Chris, Dims, Liusheng, Chenrui, Zhuli, Joe (gophercloud), and anyone else
contributing to OpenLab.

A member of the release team working on the testing infrastructure for
Kubernetes did a shoutout to the team for the following:

(AishSundar)
Shoutout to @dims and OpenStack team for quickly getting their 1.11
Conformance results piped to CI runs and contributing results to
Conformance dashboard !
https://k8s-testgrid.appspot.com/sig-release-1.11-all#Conformance%20-%20OpenStack&show-stale-tests=

Here is why this is significant and those working on this who I previously
mentioned should get recognition:

(hogepodge)
OpenStack and GCE are the first two clouds that will release block on
conformance testing failures. Thanks @dims for building out the test
pipeline and @mrhillsman for leading the OpenLab efforts that are reporting
back to the test grid. @RuiChen for his contributions to the testing
effort. Amazing work for the last six months.

In other words, if the external cloud provider ci conformance tests we do
in OpenLab are not passing, it will be one of the signals used for blocking
the release. OpenStack and GCE are the first two clouds to achieve this and
it is a significant accomplishment for the OpenLab team and the OpenStack
community overall regarding our relationship with the Kubernetes community.
Thanks again Chris, Dims, Joe, Liusheng, Chenrui, and Zhuli for the work
you have done and continue to do in this space.

Personally I hope we take a moment to really consider this milestone and
work to ensure OpenLab's continued success as we embark on working on other
integrations. We started OpenLab hoping we could make substantial impact
specifically for the ecosystem that builds on top of OpenStack and this is
evidence we can and should do more.

--
Kind regards,

Melvin Hillsman