[openstack-dev] [release] Release countdown for week R-12, June 4-8

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu May 31 14:41:05 UTC 2018

Welcome back to our weekly countdown email.

Development Focus
-----------------

The Rocky-2 milestone deadline is June 7th. Teams should be focused on
implementing priority features.

General Information
-------------------

Membership freeze coincides with milestone 2 [0]. This means projects that have
not done a release yet must do so for the next two milestones to be included in
the Rocky release.

[0] https://releases.openstack.org/rocky/schedule.html#r-mf

The following libraries have not done a release yet in the rocky cycle:

    automaton
    blazar-nova
    ceilometermiddleware
    debtcollector
    glance-store
    heat-translator
    kuryr
    oslo.context
    pycadf
    requestsexceptions
    stevedore
    taskflow
    python-aodhclient
    python-barbicanclient
    python-blazarclient
    python-brick-cinderclient-ext
    python-cinderclient
    python-cloudkittyclient
    python-congressclient
    python-cyborgclient
    python-designateclient
    python-karborclient
    python-magnumclient
    python-masakariclient
    python-muranoclient
    python-octaviaclient
    python-pankoclient
    python-searchlightclient
    python-senlinclient
    python-solumclient
    python-swiftclient
    python-tricircleclient
    python-vitrageclient
    python-zaqarclient

For library-only projects, please be aware of the membership freeze mentioned
above. I believe all of these use the cycle-with-intermediary release model,
but especially for clients, it is good to get pending changes released
early/often in the cycle to make sure there is enough time to address issues
found by those that only use the released libraries.

Remember that there are client and non-client library freezes for the release
starting mid-July.

If there are any questions about preparing a release by the 7th, please come
talk to us in #openstack-releases.

**Note for projects that publish to PyPi**
There was a recent change with PyPi where they now enforce valid RST formatting
for package long descriptions. In most cases, the repo's README.rst gets pulled
in as this long description.

This means that there is now a need to ensure these README files are properly
formatted and do not have errors that will prevent the upload of a package.
This would fail after all of the other release automation was complete, so to
prevent this from happening we now have validation performed against repos when
new releases are proposed to the openstack/releases repo. If you see the
openstack-tox-validate job fail, this is a likely culprit.

See the note added to the project-team-guide for a recommendation on how to
protect against this before release time:

https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/project-setup/python.html#running-the-style-checks

Unfortunately the error message isn't too helpful, so if you see a failure due
to this, the next step to help in identifying the cause may be to run doc8
against the README.rst file locally.

Upcoming Deadlines & Dates

Rocky-2 Milestone: June 7
Final non-client library release deadline: July 19
Final client library release deadline: July 26
Rocky-3 Milestone: July 26

--
Sean McGinnis (smcginnis)