[openstack-dev] [tc][all] A culture change (nitpicking)

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Thu May 31 02:53:52 UTC 2018

On May 30, 2018, at 5:11 AM, Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> Whatever decision the TC takes, I would like it to make sure that we don't paint putting -1 as a bad act. Nor do I want "if you care, just follow-up" to be an excuse for putting up bad contributions.
>
> Additionally, I would like to have something saying that a -1 is valid and appropriate, if a contribution substantially increases the project's technical debt. After already spending *days* refactoring ironic unit tests, I will -1 the hell out of a patch that will try to bring them back to their initial state, I promise :)

Yes to this. -1 should never mean anything other than "some more work needs to be done before this can merge". It most certainly does not mean "your code is bad and you should feel terrible".

While this started as a discussion about reducing nitpicking, which I think we can all embrace, we shouldn't let it slide into imagining that contributors are such fragile things that pointing out an error/problem in the code is seen as a personal attack. Of course you should not be mean when you do so. But that's very, very rare in my OpenStack experience. Nitpicking, on the other hand, is much more prevalent, and I welcome these efforts to reduce it.

-- Ed Leafe