[openstack-dev] [tc][all] A culture change (nitpicking)

Jay S Bryant jungleboyj at gmail.com
Tue May 29 20:25:01 UTC 2018

On 5/29/2018 3:19 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Jonathan Proulx's message of 2018-05-29 16:05:06 -0400:
>> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 03:53:41PM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> :> >> maybe we're all saying the same thing here?
>> :> > Yeah, I feel like we're all essentially in agreement that nits (of the
>> :> > English mistake of typo type) do need to get fixed, but sometimes
>> :> > (often?) putting the burden of fixing them on the original patch
>> :> > contributor is neither fair nor constructive.
>> :> I am ok with this statement if we are all in agreement that doing
>> :> follow-up patches is an acceptable practice.
>> :
>> :Has it ever not been?
>> :
>> :It seems like it has always come down to a bit of negotiation with
>> :the original author, hasn't it? And that won't change, except that
>> :we will be emphasizing to reviewers that we encourage them to be
>> :more active in seeking out that negotiation and then proposing
>> :patches?
>>
>> Exactly, it's more codifying a default.
>>
>> It's not been unacceptable but I think there's some understandable
>> reluctance to make changes to someone else's work, you don't want to
>> seem like your taking over or getting in the way.  At least that's
>> what's in my head when deciding should this be a comment or a patch.
>>
>> I think this discussion suggests for certain class of "nits" patch is
>> preferred to comment.  If that is true making this explicit is a good
>> thing becuase let's face it my social skills are only marginally
>> better than my speeling :)
>>
>> -Jon
>>
> OK, that's all good. I'm just surprised to learn that throwing a
> follow-up patch on top of someone else's patch was ever seen as
> discouraged.
>
> The spice must flow,
> Doug

Maybe it would be different now that I am a Core/PTL but in the past I
had been warned to be careful as it could be misinterpreted if I was
changing other people's patches or that it could look like I was trying
to pad my numbers. (I am a nit-picker though I do my best not to be.

I am happy if people understand I am just trying to keep the process
moving and keep the read/flow of Cinder consistent.  :-)

Jay