[openstack-dev] [TC] [Infra] Terms of service for hosted projects

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue May 29 17:37:24 UTC 2018

On 2018-05-29 10:53:03 -0400 (-0400), Zane Bitter wrote:
> We allow various open source projects that are not an official
> part of OpenStack or necessarily used by OpenStack to be hosted on
> OpenStack infrastructure - previously under the 'StackForge'
> branding, but now without separate branding. Do we document
> anywhere the terms of service under which we offer such hosting?

We do so minimally here:

https://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/unofficial_project_hosting.html

It's linked from this section of the Project Creator’s Guide in the
Infra Manual:

https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/creators.html#decide-status-of-your-project

But yes, we should probably add some clarity to that document and
see about making sure it's linked more prominently. We also maintain
some guidelines for reviewers of changes to the
openstack-infra/project-config repository, which has a bit to say
about new repository creation changes:

https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config/tree/REVIEWING.rst

> It is my understanding that the infra team will enforce the
> following conditions when a repo import request is received:
>
> * The repo must be licensed under an OSI-approved open source
> license.

That has been our custom, but we should add a statement to this
effect in the aforementioned document.

> * If the repo is a fork of another project, there must be (public)
> evidence of an attempt to co-ordinate with the upstream first.

I don't recall this ever being mandated, though the project-config
reviewers do often provide suggestions to project creators such as
places in the existing community with which they might consider
cooperating/collaborating.

> Neither of those appears to be documented (specifically,
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/licensing.html only
> specifies licensing requirements for official projects, libraries
> imported by official projects, and software used by the Infra
> team).

The Infrastructure team has been granted a fair amount of autonomy
to determine its operating guidelines, and future plans to separate
project hosting further from the OpenStack name (in an attempt to
make it more clear that hosting your project in the infrastructure
is not an endorsement by OpenStack and doesn't make it "part of
OpenStack") make the OpenStack TC governance site a particularly
poor choice of venue to document such things.

> In addition, I think we should require projects hosted on our
> infrastructure to agree to other policies:
>
> * Adhere to the OpenStack Foundation Code of Conduct.

This seems like a reasonable addition to our hosting requirements.

> * Not misrepresent their relationship to the official OpenStack
> project or the Foundation. Ideally we'd come up with language that
> they *can* use to describe their status, such as "hosted on the
> OpenStack infrastructure".

Also a great suggestion. We sort of say that in the "what being an
unoffocial project is not" bullet list, but it could use some
fleshing out.

> If we don't have place where this kind of thing is documented
> already, I'll submit a review adding one. Does anybody have any
> ideas about a process for ensuring that projects have read and
> agreed to the terms when we add them?

Adding process forcing active confirmation of such rules seems like
a lot of unnecessary overhead/red tape/bureaucracy. As it stands,
we're working to get rid of active agreement to the ICLA in favor of
simply asserting the DCO in commit messages, so I'm not a fan of
adding some new agreement people have to directly acknowledge along
with associated automation and policing.
--
Jeremy Stanley