[openstack-dev] [horizon] Font awesome currently broken with Debian Sid and Horizon

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat May 26 17:37:11 UTC 2018

Hi Horizon team!

I'm not sure if you're aware of that, but the upstream authors of
fontawesome decided it was a good idea to break everyone. See this
Debian bug entry:

https://bugs.debian.org/899124

So, what happened is that fontawesome-webfont has been split into 3 sets
of fonts: solid, regular and brands fonts. Thus there is no drop in
replacement for the old fontawesome-webfont.xxx.

As my python3-xstatic-font-awesome removes the embedded fonts, and just
points to /usr/share/fonts-font-awesome, Horizon is broken and cannot
even be installed currently in Debian Sid. Of course, I'm considering
reverting the removal of the data folder from the xstatic package, but
it then defeats the purpose of Xstatic, which is avoiding duplication of
static files already packaged in the distribution.

So, ideally, I would like to know first if I can use the fa-solid-900
for Horizon, or if other glyphs are in use (it's very much possible that
only fa-solid-900 stuff are in use, but I really don't know how to check
for that the correct way). If that's the case, then I can workaround the
issue (at least temporarily), and synlink stuff in the data folder to
the new fa-solid-900 files.

Second, it'd be nice if Horizon could adapt and use the new v5
font-awesome, so that the problem is completely solved.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)