[openstack-dev] [all][tc][ptls] final stages of python 3 transition

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Mon May 21 19:16:04 UTC 2018

On 20 May 2018, at 17:19, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> On 05/20/2018 06:24 PM, Matthew Treinish wrote:
>> On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 03:05:34PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>> Thanks for these details. What exactly is the trouble with the Swift
>>> backend? Do you know? Is anyone working on fixing it? At my company,
>>> we'd be happy to work on that (if of course, it's not too time
>>> demanding).
>>>

>> Sorry I didn't mean the swift backend, but swift itself under
>> python3:
>>
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3#OpenStack_applications_.28tc:approved-release.29
>>
>> If you're trying to deploy everything under python3 I don't think
>> you'll be
>> able to deploy swift. But if you already have a swift running then
>> the glance
>> backend should work fine under pythom 3.
>
> Of course I know Swift isn't Python 3 ready. And that's sad... :/

yep. we're still working on it. slowly.

> However, we did also experience issues with the swift backend last
> week.
> Hopefully, with the switch to uwsgi it's going to work. I'll let you
> know if that's not the case.

Is the "switch to uwsgi" something about how you're running swift or
something about how you're running glance?

FWIW, my experience with putting TLS in front of Swift is to run Swift
as "normal" (ie run `swift-proxy-server /etc/swift/proxy-server.conf`
itself instead of under apache or nginx or something else). Then use
HAProxy or hitch to terminate TLS and forward that internally to the
proxy server.