[openstack-dev] [tripleo] [barbican] [tc] key store in base services

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu May 17 07:58:00 UTC 2018

Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> [...]
> As a community, we're likely to continue to make imbalanced
> trade-offs against relevant security features if we don't move
> forward and declare that some sort of standardized key storage
> solution is a fundamental component on which OpenStack services can
> rely. Being able to just assume that you can encrypt volumes in
> Swift, even as a means to further secure a TripleO undercloud, would
> be a step in the right direction for security-minded deployments.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm unable to find any follow-up summary on the
> mailing list from the aforementioned session, but recollection from
> those who were present (I had a schedule conflict at that time) was
> that a Castellan-compatible key store would at least be a candidate
> for inclusion in our base services list:
>
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/base-services.html

Yes, last time this was discussed, there was lazy consensus that adding
"a Castellan-compatible secret store" would be a good addition to the
base services list if we wanted to avoid proliferation of half-baked
keystore implementations in various components.

The two blockers were:

1/ castellan had to be made less Barbican-specific, offer at least one
other secrets store (Vault), and move under Oslo (done)

2/ some projects (was it Designate ? Octavia ?) were relying on advanced
functions of Barbican not generally found in other secrets store, like
certificate generation, and so would prefer to depend on Barbican
itself, which confuses the messaging around the base service addition a
bit ("any Castellan-supported secret store as long as it's Barbican")

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)