[openstack-dev] [ci][infra][tripleo] Multi-staged check pipelines for Zuul v3 proposal

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Tue May 15 13:22:14 UTC 2018

On 5/15/18 2:30 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2018-05-15 14:07:56 +0200 (+0200), Bogdan Dobrelya wrote:
> [...]
>> How pipelines may help solve it?
>> Pipelines only alleviate, not solve the problem of waiting. We only want to
>> build pipelines for the main zuul check process, omitting gating and RDO CI
>> (for now).
>>
>> Where are two cases to consider:
>> - A patch succeeds all checks
>> - A patch fails a check with dependencies
>>
>> The latter cases benefit us the most, when pipelines are designed like it is
>> proposed here. So that any jobs expected to fail, when a dependency fails,
>> will be omitted from execution.
> [...]
>
> Your choice of terminology is making it hard to follow this
> proposal. You seem to mean something other than
> https://zuul-ci.org/docs/zuul/user/config.html#pipeline when you use
> the term "pipeline" (which gets confusing very quickly for anyone
> familiar with Zuul configuration concepts).

Indeed, sorry for that confusion. I mean pipelines as jobs executed in
batches, ordered via defined dependencies, like gitlab pipelines [0].
And those batches can also be thought of steps, or whatever we call that.

[0] https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/pipelines.html

Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,
Irc #bogdando