[openstack-dev] [horizon] Scheduling switch to django >= 2.0

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri May 11 18:04:38 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Akihiro Motoki's message of 2018-05-12 00:14:33 +0900:
> Hi zigo and horizon plugin maintainers,
>
> Horizon itself already supports Django 2.0 and horizon unit test covers
> Django 2.0 with Python 3.5.
>
> A question to all is whether we change the upper bound of Django from <2.0
> to <2.1.
> My proposal is to bump the upper bound of Django to <2.1 in Rocky-2.
> (Note that Django 1.11 will continue to be used for python 2.7 environment.)

Do we need to cap it at all? We've been trying to express our
dependencies without caps and rely on the constraints list to
test using a common version because this offers the most flexibility as
we move to newer versions over time.

> There are several points we should consider:
> - If we change it in global-requirements.txt, it means Django 2.0 will be
> used for python3.5 environment.
> - Not a small number of horizon plugins still do not support Django 2.0, so
> bumping the upper bound to <2.1 will break their py35 tests.
> - From my experience of Django 2.0 support in some plugins, the required
> changes are relatively simple like [1].
>
> I created an etherpad page to track Django 2.0 support in horizon plugins.
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/django20-support
>
> I proposed Django 2.0 support patches to several projects which I think are
> major.
> # Do not blame me if I don't cover your project :)
>
> Thought?

It seems like a good goal for the horizon-plugin author community
to bring those projects up to date by supporting a current version
of Django (and any other dependencies), especially as we discuss
the impending switch over to python-3-first and then python-3-only.

If this is an area where teams need help, updating that etherpad
with notes and requests for assistance will help us split up the
work.

Doug