[openstack-dev] [all] Topics for the Board+TC+UC meeting in Vancouver

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri May 11 00:12:29 UTC 2018

On 10/05/18 16:45, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 5/10/2018 3:38 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
>> How can we avoid (or get out of) the local maximum trap and ensure
>> that OpenStack will meet the needs of all the users we want to serve,
>> not just those whose needs are similar to those of the users we
>> already have?
>
> The phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind here.

Stipulating the constraint that you can't please everybody, how do you
ensure that you're meeting the needs of the users who are most important
to the long-term sustainability of the project, and not just the ones
who were easiest to bootstrap?

It's the same question.

> Wasn't the explosion of big tent projects at least an indication of
> people trying to make OpenStack all things to all people and failing
> most of the time?

Well, just to take one example, we built a lot of things that you might
characterise as application services, but not until Queens did we have a
mechanism for applications to authenticate to those services without
giving them the user's LDAP password. (Thanks Colleen!!!) Now, to the
extent that those projects can be said to have "mostly fail[ed]", was it
because we:

* Tried to do too much?
* Tried to do too little?
* Tried to do the wrong things?