[openstack-dev] Ironic Status Updates

Ilya Etingof ietingof at redhat.com
Thu May 10 13:48:34 UTC 2018

On 05/10/2018 03:01 PM, Julia Kreger wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 4:34 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>
>> As a consumer of team updates from outside of the team, I do find
>> them valuable.
>
> Ditto, if I have time to read them.
>

>> I think having a regular email update like that is a good communication
>> pattern we've started to establish with several teams, and I'm going
>> to ask the TC to help find ways to make those updates more visible
>> for folks who want to stay informed but can't spend the time it
>> takes to read all of the messages on the mailing list (blogs, RSS,
>> twitter, etc.).
>>
>> So, I hope the Ironic team can find a volunteer (or several to share
>> the work?) to step in and continue with summaries in some form.
>>

> I suspect finding a replacement is going to be a little hard for anything that
> is more than a ten to fifteen minute commitment per week. Perhaps if there was
> some sort of unified way that might make things easier and we could then
> all coalesce in terms of update format, amount of pertinent information
> versus noise.

The status updates we used to have [1] were essentially weekly snapshots
of the Ironic Whiteboard [2]. That probably explains why they are 1)
somewhat large/noisy and 2) changing only partially. My mental diff
capabilities now risk declining. ;-)

While we still have the whiteboard [2], does it make sense to duplicate
it in e-mail [1]?

Would it work better if we'd:

* Report just progress/changes in the e-mail, not the whole whiteboard
(which is still one click away)

and/or

* Report essential discussions/resolutions occurred at the weekly IRC
meeting

WDYT?

I can probably do something about those status reports if people find
them useful in one form or the other.

1. http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-May/130257.html
2. https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/IronicWhiteBoard