[openstack-dev] [all][tc][ptls] final stages of python 3 transition

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue May 8 15:09:21 UTC 2018

On 30/04/18 17:16, Ben Nemec wrote:
>> Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2018-04-25 16:54:46 -0400:
>>> 1. Fix oslo.service functional tests -- the Oslo team needs help
>>>     maintaining this library. Alternatively, we could move all
>>>     services to use cotyledon (https://pypi.org/project/cotyledon/).

I submitted a patch that fixes the py35 gate (which was broken due to
changes between CPython 3.4 and 3.5), so once that merges we can flip
the gate back to voting:

https://review.openstack.org/566714

> For everyone's awareness, we discussed this in the Oslo meeting today
> and our first step is to see how many, if any, services are actually
> relying on the oslo.service functionality that doesn't work in Python 3
> today.  From there we will come up with a plan for how to move forward.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/manila/+bug/1482633 is the original bug.

These tests are currently skipped in both oslo_service and nova.
(Equivalent tests were removed from Neutron and Manila on the principle
that they're now oslo_service's responsibility.)

This appears to be a series of long-standing bugs in eventlet:

Python 3.5 failure mode:
https://github.com/eventlet/eventlet/issues/308
https://github.com/eventlet/eventlet/issues/189

Python 3.4 failure mode:
https://github.com/eventlet/eventlet/issues/476
https://github.com/eventlet/eventlet/issues/145

There are also more problems coming down the pipeline in Python 3.6:

https://github.com/eventlet/eventlet/issues/371

That one is resolved in eventlet 0.21, but we have that blocked by
upper-constraints:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/upper-constraints.txt#n135

Given that the code in question relates solely to standalone WSGI
servers with SSL and everything should have already migrated to Apache,
and that the upstream is clearly overworked and unlikely to merge fixes
any time soon (plus we would have to deal with the fallout of moving the
upper constraint), I agree that it would be preferable if we could just
ditch this functionality.

cheers,
Zane.