[openstack-dev] [tc][goals] tracking status of old goals for new projects

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon May 7 20:26:36 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2018-05-07 14:06:35 +0000:
> On 2018-05-07 09:52:16 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
> [...]
> > 3. We could do nothing to record the work related to the goal.
> [...]
>
> For situations like 557863 I think I'd prefer either the status quo
> (the kolla deliverable _was_ already listed so it could make
> sense to update it in that document) or option #3 (the cycle for
> that goal is already well in the past, and certainly adding new
> deliverables like kolla-kubernetes to a past goal sets unrealistic
> expectations for future goals regardless of where we track them).
>
> I really do, though, think we should simply accept that these goals
> don't always (or even usually?) reach 100% coverage and that at some
> point we need to be able to consider better means of keeping track
> of, e.g., which deliverables work on which Python versions. The
> goals process is excellent for reaching critical mass on such
> efforts, but should not be considered a source of long-term support
> documentation.

Right, it's that latter part I think we didn't really consider when we
started the whole process. I hope storyboard will make it easier to
address those cases in the future, because anyone can add a task and
mark it completed without triggering a bunch of review work for TC
members, which is the main objection I have to continuing to update the
documents in the governance repo.

Doug