[openstack-dev] [nova] reboot a rescued instance?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri May 4 15:42:47 UTC 2018

On 05/04/2018 07:50 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> For full details on this, see the IRC conversation [1].
>
> tl;dr: the nova compute manager and xen virt driver assume that you can reboot a
> rescued instance [2] but the API does not allow that [3] and as far as I can
> tell, it never has.
>
> I can only assume that Rackspace had an out of tree change to the API to allow
> rebooting a rescued instance. I don't know why that wouldn't have been
> upstreamed, but the upstream API doesn't allow it. I'm also not aware of
> anything internal to nova that reboots an instance in a rescued state.
>
> So the question now is, should we add rescue to the possible states to reboot an
> instance in the API? Or just rollback this essentially dead code in the compute
> manager and xen virt driver? I don't know if any other virt drivers will support
> rebooting a rescued instance.

Not sure where the more recent equivalent is, but the mitaka user guide[1] has this:

"Pause, suspend, and stop operations are not allowed when an instance is running
in rescue mode, as triggering these actions causes the loss of the original
instance state, and makes it impossible to unrescue the instance."

Would the same logic apply to reboot since it's basically stop/start?

Chris

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/user-guide/cli_reboot_an_instance.html