[openstack-dev] [nova] reboot a rescued instance?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri May 4 13:46:57 UTC 2018

For full details on this, see the IRC conversation [1].

tl;dr: the nova compute manager and xen virt driver assume that you can
reboot a rescued instance [2] but the API does not allow that [3] and as
far as I can tell, it never has.

I can only assume that Rackspace had an out of tree change to the API to
allow rebooting a rescued instance. I don't know why that wouldn't have
been upstreamed, but the upstream API doesn't allow it. I'm also not
aware of anything internal to nova that reboots an instance in a rescued
state.

So the question now is, should we add rescue to the possible states to
reboot an instance in the API? Or just rollback this essentially dead
code in the compute manager and xen virt driver? I don't know if any
other virt drivers will support rebooting a rescued instance.

[1]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-nova/%23openstack-nova.2018-05-03.log.html#t2018-05-03T18:49:58
[2]
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1170237+(status:open+OR+status:merged