[openstack-dev] Is there any way to recheck only one job?

Martin André m.andre at redhat.com
Thu May 3 13:01:59 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 10:41 AM, Jens Harbott <j.harbott at x-ion.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder if there is any way to recheck only one type of job instead of rechecking everything.
>> For example sometimes I have to debug some random failure in specific job type, like „neutron-fullstack” and I want to collect some additional data or test something. So in such case I push some „Do not merge” patch and waits for job result - but I really don’t care about e.g. pep8 or UT results so would be good is I could run (recheck) only job which I want. That could safe some resources for other jobs and speed up my tests a little as I could be able to recheck only my job faster :)
>>
>> Is there any way that I can do it with gerrit and zuul currently? Or maybe it could be consider as a new feature to add? What do You think about it?
>
> This is intentionally not implemented as it could be used to trick
> patches leading to unstable behaviour into passing too easily, hiding
> possible issues.

Perhaps for these type of patches aimed at gathering data in CI, we
could make it easier for developers to selectively trigger jobs while
still retaining the "all voting jobs must pass in the same run" policy
in place.

I'm thinking maybe a specially formatted line in the commit message
could do the trick:

  Trigger-Job: neutron-fullstack

Even better if we can automatically put a Workflow -1 on the patches
that contains a job triggering marker to prevent them from
accidentally merging, and indicate to reviewers they can skip these
patches.
It's not uncommon to see such DNM patches, so I imagine we can save
quite a lot of CI resource by implementing a system like that. And
devs will be happier too because it can also be tricky at times to
find what triggers a given job.

Martin