[openstack-dev] [kolla][kolla-kubernete][tc][openstack-helm]propose retire kolla-kubernetes project

Michał Jastrzębski inc007 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 19:07:54 UTC 2018

So my take on the issue.

I think splitting Kolla and Kolla-Ansible to completely new project
(including name change and all) might look good from purity
perspective (they're effectively separate), but would cause chaos and
damage to production deployments people use. While code will be the
same, do we scrub "kolla" name from kolla-ansible code? Do we change
config paths? Configs lands in /etc/kolla so I guess new project
shouldn't do that? Not to mention that operators are used to this
nomenclature and build tools around it (for example Kayobe) and there
is no telling how many production deployments would get hurt. At the
same time I don't think there is much to gain from split like that, so
that's not really practical.

We can do this for Kolla-kubernetes as it hasn't released 1.0 so there
won't (or shouldn't) be production environments based on it.

We already have separate core teams for Kolla and Kolla-Ansible. From
my experience organizing PTG and other events for both (or rather all
3 deliverables) together makes sense and makes scheduling of
attendance much easier.