[openstack-dev] [infra][qa] Pip 10 is on the way

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Sat Mar 31 17:09:26 UTC 2018

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 03:00:27PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> According to a notice[1] posted to the pypa-announce and
> distutils-sig mailing lists, pip 10.0.0.b1 is on PyPI now and 10.0.0
> is expected to be released in two weeks (over the April 14/15
> weekend). We know it's at least going to start breaking[2] DevStack
> and we need to come up with a plan for addressing that, but we don't
> know how much more widespread the problem might end up being so
> encourage everyone to try it out now where they can.
>
> [1] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2018-March/032104.html
> [2] https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/4805
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

One upcoming change is the inability of having "import pip" in code. That
change snuck into 9.0.2 (and was worked around giving incorrect users a little
more time with 9.0.3).

I think we only found an issue with this in a library in use by neutron, but
please be aware that any programmatic use of pip as a library will need to be
fixed.