[openstack-dev] [kolla][kolla-kubernete][tc][openstack-helm]propose retire kolla-kubernetes project

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Mar 31 13:44:28 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-31 03:13:01 +0000 (+0000), Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
[...]
> When contributors joined the Kolla project, we had a clear mission
> of providing containers and deployment tools.  Our ultimate
> objective was to make deployment *EASY* and solve from my
> perspective as PTL at the time what was OpenStack's number one
> pain point.
[...]

So, if I understand what you're suggesting, Kolla is a deployment
project. It uses Ansible and builds container images, but those are
merely implementation details. Other projects have found the
container images useful outside of Kolla and so the Kolla team has
attempted to be helpful in supporting their direct in unrelated
deployment tools but has no desire to decouple the deployment
tooling and image building components any further than necessary.

Given this, it sounds like the current Kolla mission statement of
"provide production-ready containers and deployment tools for
operating OpenStack clouds" could use some adjustment to drop the
production-ready containers aspect for further clarity. Do you
agree?
--
Jeremy Stanley