[openstack-dev] [tripleo] PTG session about All-In-One installer: recap & roadmap

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Fri Mar 30 15:53:37 UTC 2018

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 at 08:45 Paul Grist <pgrist at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 5:32 PM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Greeting folks,
>>
>> During the last PTG we spent time discussing some ideas around an
>> All-In-One installer, using 100% of the TripleO bits to deploy a single
>> node OpenStack very similar with what we have today with the containerized
>> undercloud and what we also have with other tools like Packstack or
>> Devstack.
>>
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-rocky-all-in-one
>>
>> One of the problems that we're trying to solve here is to give a simple
>> tool for developers so they can both easily and quickly deploy an OpenStack
>> for their needs.
>>
>> Big +1 on the concept,  thanks to all those putting effort into this.
>

>> "As a developer, I need to deploy OpenStack in a VM on my laptop, quickly
>> and without complexity, reproducing the same exact same tooling as TripleO
>> is using."
>> "As a Neutron developer, I need to develop a feature in Neutron and test
>> it with TripleO in my local env."
>> "As a TripleO dev, I need to implement a new service and test its
>> deployment in my local env."
>> "As a developer, I need to reproduce a bug in TripleO CI that blocks the
>> production chain, quickly and simply."
>>

> Would this also be an opportunity for CI to enable lighter weight sanity
> and preliminary tests?
> "As a project, I want to implement a TripleO CI gate to detect regressions
> early, but have resource and test execution time constraints"

Paul,
You are 100% correct sir.  That is the opportunity and intention we have
here.  Moving forward I see a single node installer that is comprable to
devstack/packstack as a requirement for the project as we continue to
improve the deployment to enable other projects to test/ci with TripleO in
their check jobs.

Thanks for responding and your support!