[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-sig/news
cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Mar 29 17:39:05 UTC 2018
Greetings OpenStack community,
Chaotic but fun API-SIG meeting today. elmiko has done some review of the long-in-progress microversion history doc  and reports that it is worth finishing and publishing as a historical document explaining why microversions exist. Having greater context on the why of microversions should help them feel like less of an imposition.
We then discussed what sort of things, if any, the API-SIG should try to talk about during the Forum in Vancouver. edleafe will seek out some SDK-related people to see if we can share some time together. If you're reading this and you have some ideas, please respond and tell us.
Then the long lost mordred returned from the land of zuul to discuss some ambiguities in how services, code and configuration use the concept of version. I have to admit that my eyes glazed over (with tears) for a moment through here, but the outcome was that the best thing to do is not surprise the users or make them do extra work. This will be encoded in a followup to the merging guidance on SDKs.
elmiko had another report on research he was doing: He thinks he may have figured out a way to deal with microversions in OpenAPI documents. I don't want to oversell this yet, but if it works this could be combined with the pending experiments to make structured data out of existing api-ref documents  to auto-generate OpenAPI schema from documentation.
Then we looked at some pending guidelines (see below). One that stood out as potentialy controversial is the use of service name or service type in errors document .
As always if you're interested in helping out, in addition to coming to the meetings, there's also:
* The list of bugs  indicates several missing or incomplete guidelines.
* The existing guidelines  always need refreshing to account for changes over time. If you find something that's not quite right, submit a patch  to fix it.
* Have you done something for which you think guidance would have made things easier but couldn't find any? Submit a patch and help others .
# Newly Published Guidelines
* Add guideline on exposing microversions in SDKs
# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze
Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.
None this week.
# Guidelines Currently Under Review 
* Break up the HTTP guideline into smaller documents
* Add guidance on needing cache-control headers
* Update the errors guidance to use service-type for code
* Update parameter names in microversion sdk spec
* Add API-schema guide (still being defined)
* A (shrinking) suite of several documents about doing version and service discovery
Start at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459405/
* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet ready for review)
# Highlighting your API impacting issues
If you seek further review and insight from the API SIG about APIs that you are developing or changing, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are facing.
To learn more about the API SIG mission and the work we do, see our wiki page  and guidelines .
Thanks for reading and see you next week!
Past Meeting Records
Chris Dent ٩◔̯◔۶ https://anticdent.org/
freenode: cdent tw: @anticdent
More information about the OpenStack-dev