[openstack-dev] [nova] [cyborg] Race condition in the Cyborg/Nova flow

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Thu Mar 29 16:43:15 UTC 2018

We discussed this on IRC [1], hangout, and etherpad [2].  Here is the
summary, which we mostly seem to agree on:

There are two different classes of device we're talking about
modeling/managing.  (We don't know the real nomenclature, so forgive
errors in that regard.)

==> Fully dynamic: You can program one region with one function, and
then still program a different region with a different function, etc.

==> Single program: Once you program the card with a function, *all* its
virtual slots are *only* capable of that function until the card is
reprogrammed.  And while any slot is in use, you can't reprogram.  This
is Sundar's FPGA use case.  It is also Sylvain's VGPU use case.

The "fully dynamic" case is straightforward (in the sense of being what
placement was architected to handle).
* Model the PF/region as a resource provider.
* The RP has inventory of some generic resource class (e.g. "VGPU",
"SRIOV_NET_VF", "FPGA_FUNCTION").  Allocations consume that inventory,
plain and simple.
* As a region gets programmed dynamically, it's acceptable for the thing
doing the programming to set a trait indicating that that function is in
play.  (Sundar, this is the thing I originally said would get
resistance; but we've agreed it's okay.  No blood was shed :)
* Requests *may* use preferred traits to help them land on a card that
already has their function flashed on it. (Prerequisite: preferred
traits, which can be implemented in placement.  Candidates with the most
preferred traits get sorted highest.)

The "single program" case needs to be handled more like what Alex
describes below.  TL;DR: We do *not* support dynamic programming,
traiting, or inventorying at instance boot time - it all has to be done
"up front".
* The PFs can be initially modeled as "empty" resource providers.  Or
maybe not at all.  Either way, *they can not be deployed* in this state.
* An operator or admin (via a CLI, config file, agent like blazar or
cyborg, etc.) preprograms the PF to have the specific desired
function/configuration.
  * This may be cyborg/blazar pre-programming devices to maintain an
available set of each function
  * This may be in response to a user requesting some function, which
causes a new image to be laid down on a device so it will be available
for scheduling
  * This may be a human doing it at cloud-build time
* This results in the resource provider being (created and) set up with
the inventory and traits appropriate to that function.
* Now deploys can happen, using required traits representing the desired
function.

-efried

[1]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-nova/%23openstack-nova.2018-03-29.log.html#t2018-03-29T12:52:56