[openstack-dev] [nova][oslo] what to do with problematic mocking in nova unit tests

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Mar 28 17:26:49 UTC 2018

In the course of preparing the next release of oslo.config, Ben noticed
that nova's unit tests fail with oslo.config master [1].

The underlying issue is that the tests mock things that oslo.config
is now calling as part of determining where options are being set
in code. This isn't an API change in oslo.config, and it is all
transparent for normal uses of the library. But the mocks replace
os.path.exists() and open() for the entire duration of a test
function (not just for the isolated application code being tested),
and so the library behavior change surfaces as a test error.

I'm not really in a position to go through and clean up the use of
mocks in those (and other?) tests myself, and I would like to not
have to revert the feature work in oslo.config, especially since
we did it for the placement API stuff for the nova team.

I'm looking for ideas about what to do.

Doug

[1] http://logs.openstack.org/12/557012/1/check/cross-nova-py27/37b2a7c/job-output.txt.gz#_2018-03-27_21_41_09_883881