[openstack-dev] [stable][release] Remove complex ACL changes around releases

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Wed Mar 28 14:34:32 UTC 2018

On 26/03/2018 14:33, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Hi!
>
> TL;DR:
> We used to do complex things with ACLs for stable/* branches around
> releases. Let's stop doing that as it's not really useful anyway, and
> just trust the $project-stable-maint teams to do the right thing.
>

> Current situation:
>
> As we get close to the end of a release cycle, we start creating
> stable/$series branches to refine what is likely to become a part of the
> coordinated release at the end of the cycle. After release, that same
> stable/$series branch is used to backport fixes and issue further point
> releases.
>
> The rules to apply for approving changes to stable/$series differ
> slightly depending on whether you are pre-release or post-release. To
> reflect that, we use two different groups. Pre-release the branch is
> controlled by the $project-release group (and Release Managers) and
> post-release the branch is controlled by the $project-stable-maint group
> (and stable-maint-core).
>
> To switch between the two without blocking on an infra ACL change, the
> release team enters a complex dance where we initially create an ACL for
> stable/$series, giving control of it to a $project-release-branch group,
> whose membership is reset at every cycle to contain $project-release. At
> release time, we update $project-release-branch Gerrit group membership
> to contain $project-stable-maint instead. Then we get rid of the
> stable/$series ACL altogether.
>
> This process is a bit complex and error-prone (and we tend to have to
> re-learn it every cycle). It's also designed for a time when we expected
> completely-different people to be in -release and -stable-maint groups,
> while those are actually, most of the time, the same people.
> Furthermore, with more and more deliverables being released under the
> cycle-with-intermediary model, pre-release and post-release approval
> rules are actually more and more of the same.
>
> Proposal:
>
> By default, let's just have $project-stable-maint control stable/*. We
> no longer create new ACLs for stable/$series every cycle, we no longer
> switch from $project-release control to $project-stable-maint control.
> The release team no longer does anything around stable branch ACLs or
> groups during the release cycle.
>
> That way, the same group ends up being used to control stable/*
> pre-release and post-release. They were mostly the same people already:
> Release managers are a part of stable-maint-core, which is included in
> every $project-stable-maint anyway, so they retain control.
>
> What that changes for you:
>
> If you are part of $project-release but not part of
> $project-stable-maint, you'll probably want to join that team. If you
> review pre-release changes on a stable branch for a
> cycle-with-milestones deliverable, you will have to remember that the
> rules there are slightly different from stable branch approval rules. In
> [...]

It is more complex than just "joining that team" if the project follows
stable policy. the stable team have to approve the additions, and do
reject people trying to join them. I don't want to have a release where
someone has to self approve / ninja approve patches due to cores *not*
having the access rights that they previously had.